Saturday 21 November 2009

Mango Milkshake Island

Finally got to sleep around 3:30 this morning. The valerian must have kicked in because I was woken at 7:30 by the alarm and feeling drugged. Decided to give going to the gym a miss and have an extra half an hour. Next thing it was 8:25 and I was due to go to breakfast with Jim at 8:30. Fumbled some clothes on just as he knocked on the door and wobbled, dazed, downstairs. I'm going to take one earlier tonight.


There is a lot of excitement on Male' today. We have a big football match, a friendly between Maldives and Hyundai, Korea, and the Korean team are staying in the hotel. I think they may have Germanic origins as two of them were washing the team kit in the shower by the pool this morning and then left it out to dry on the sunbeds.


Jim and I spent a couple of hours working and then had a swim and a short siesta before heading for the ferry to 'mango milkshake island', more commonly known as Vilingile. The ferry terminal is at the opposite corner of the island to the hotel and I was able to show off my newly found navigational skills to Jim who was suitable underwhelmed. The ferry is 3 ruffiyaa each which is about 6p so I gave the cashier 2 5Rf notes and she gave me 3 tickets and 1Rf change but that was sorted amicably. I'm thinking it's time I learnt to count from 1 to 10 in dhivehi. New task for this visit.



Dhonis in Vilingile harbour

















Dhonis in Vilingile harbour












Container ship waiting to unload










Beach on Vilingile











Lunched in resataurant by ferry terminal, surrounded by plants and next to a small fish pond with 1 fat fish, 1 long thin fish and a terapin. Served by an Indian waiter who wanted to come to London, which I said was ok because I lived in Sheffield. Lunch was beef fried noodles with lashings of chilli sauce and a Mango Milkshake (of course), which was as good as the previous one I'm pleased to report.

Then we walked along the dock and I photographed boats and we sat on wall and watched the world go by, when a couple of police who looked about 18 came up on a scooter for a chat. They wanted to know why we were here and we told them and asked about the big match and I asked who was going to win and of course they said Maldives, and they scooted off smilins. We saw them again later and they gave us a wave. It's always good to keep in with the local law enforcement officers.



Mosque on Male' near Vilingile ferry terminal



Boduthakarufaanu Magu (Marine Drive), Male'  Note the Tetrapod sea defences.













New building on Male'
















Then we got the ferry back to Male' and completed the circuit of the island (just about) by coming past the docks and markets. Distinct absence of rambutans (a fruit similat to lychees) - most disappointing. Enough scotch bonnet chillies to set the world on fire. It's just the same as in West Africa. Why does anyone need that many scotch bonnet chillies?


Apparantly the Koreans are playing tonight and tomorrow, so the dining room will be full again in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.